Our Family History

by Nicholas Michael - and many others

William Robert Lyon LAIDMAN

Male 1937 - 2015  (77 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All

  • Name William Robert Lyon LAIDMAN 
    Born 26 Oct 1937  Singapore Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Sepoy Lines Maternity Hospital
    Gender Male 
    Died 5 Oct 2015  Perth, WA, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I3370  Our Family History
    Last Modified 9 Jan 2016 

    Father Ebenezer Lyon LAIDMAN,   b. 31 Jul 1902, Dennistoun, LKS, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Sep 1966, Bishopbriggs, LKS, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Mother Margaret Mary “Mollie” PATON,   b. 29 Nov 1913, Tientsin (now Tianjin), Tianjin Shi, China Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Nov 1979, Perth, WA, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 65 years) 
    Married 26 Sep 1936  Benoni, Transvaal, South Africa Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Presbyterian Church
    Family ID F2476  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Christine Van-de-Linde (Private) MALEY 
     1. Mark Torrens (Private) LAIDMAN
     2. Paul Julian (Private) LAIDMAN
     3. Jeremy Peter Lyon (Private) LAIDMAN
     4. Jane Van-de-Linde (Private) LAIDMAN
    Last Modified 21 Jun 2016 
    Family ID F2477  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 26 Oct 1937 - Singapore Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 5 Oct 2015 - Perth, WA, Australia Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Photos
    Bill Laidman, 2003
    Bill Laidman, 2003
    Taken at the first worldwide Laidman reunion at Bowes, Yorkshire, September 2003

  • Notes 
    • William Robert Lyon Laidman participated in a DNA analysis in 2003. His ten-marker sequence was as follows:
      DYS 19: 14
      DYS 388: 12
      DYS 390: 23
      DYS 391: 11
      DYS 392: 13
      DYS 393: 13
      DYS 389i: 10
      DYS 389ii-i: 17
      DYS 425: 12
      DYS 426: 12

      Jeremy Laidman wrote to me of his father’s death:

      It is with great sadness that I must tell you that my father passed away earlier this week. I've flown to Perth to be with Mum and the rest of the family, and to give Dad his final farewell.

      Nick, you were a great companion to Dad, through your correspondence with him over the many years. Your common interests and intellect were the foundation of a unique friendship that he valued greatly. He spoke of you often, with fondness and admiration. I must thank you for your amazing genealogy work, which assisted and inspired him greatly, helping him with his post-career vocation of tracing his roots, filling his time with purpose and pride in his achievements.

      In late September Dad had gone to hospital for a regular treatment for his lung cancer. The doctor noticed that something wasn't quite right in his walking, and along with Dad's reporting of nausea for the previous few days, the doctor decided to put Dad in for a scan. The scan showed a tumour in the rear of his brain, in the area responsible for coordination. The doctor said that without treatment, he probably had only a few days to live, so Mum and Dad agreed to go ahead with surgery to remove the tumour - likely to give him 6-12 months or more, if there were no complications. It was unlikely that surgery would be able to extract all of the tumour, but should relieve some of the symptoms and suspend the fatal progression for a while.

      I went to visit him a few days after the surgery, and he was slowly improving, but not consistently. He was generally aware and understood what was going on, but his speech was a bit slurred, and he was sleepy a lot of the time. Due to concerns over his swallow reflex being impaired, he wasn't allowed to consume any liquids, and so much of his food was either mushy or gellified - even the water was thickened. He really didn't like most of the food they gave him, and all he really wanted was a cup of coffee and a cigarette - neither of which he was permitted.

      At that stage, I had to return to Melbourne, but received frequent reports from Mum and my brother Mark. Dad wasn't in any pain, and the nausea had been successfully treated. He was still very much unsteady on his feet, but perhaps didn't realise it, and he had a couple of bad falls trying to get himself to the bathroom. Nevertheless, we were hopeful of an improvement in the long term.

      After a few weeks in hospital, the doctors were concerned that he had stopped improving, and last week it seemed that he was actually getting slightly worse - barely able to open his eyes, unwilling to eat, unable to converse for very long. On Saturday night, Mark told me that he thought Dad had only weeks, rather than months, to live. On Monday night, I received a call to say that Dad had passed away that afternoon. He would have had his 79th birthday on 26th October.

      My family and I arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday morning, and we'll be here until Wednesday of next week. Dad's funeral will be next Tuesday at mid-day Perth time (8 hours ahead of UTC).

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 11.0.1, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2017.